Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wicked Witch of the West...Me a Stepmother



Once upon a time I was that Stepmother...the Wicked Witch of the West but in my case in the East since I live in NY.

Today as I look back I can happily say out loud and proud that I am no longer that Witch. I mean if you ask my girls they might say I still have my bi polar/evil step motherly moments but I am truly happy where we are now.  I can tell you it has not been an easy road and being the new girlfriend, then new wife, having kids with my their daddy or becoming the stepparent was not something easy for any of us. It was a mayor adjustment for everyone, specially for me who has always been free spirited and liked by everyone. Having 2 young children dislike you without even knowing you took a chip off my ego (temporarily) but honestly I can say I would do it all over again in a heart beat to have what I have today.

His baggage as heavy as it was, today is more mine that his. The rotten children that used to "steal" my husband's attention, now want my attention too just as much as the little ones. I no longer get introduced as the stepmother but as mom. I really hate that word...just saying!

I'd like to think that I have the same proud feeling when they excel as their own father has and maybe even more since they're girls and not that he's a bad father but guys just don't understand women but I won't say that too loud, don't ever want to hurt his feelings. With that being said I can also feel their pain/hurt/frustrations and without a doubt I would make it better if I could. I know I would always do anything in my power to help them through any rough roads that might come their way.

I might not be proud of many of the things I might have said or even done but I'm happy that we stuck it out together and never once gave up on us as a family.

Now as I see them grow and find their own way through life I just want to hit that pause button  so I can have more girly talks, see more chic flicks, go on trips that lead to nowhere  and just enjoy their company. I'm so used to them always being there and being the peanut gallery that always has something to say about everything and anything, which can be frustrating but I have learned to love it. They have been there through thick and thin. They help out with the little ones, run to the mall with me for something that should take a second and ends up being 3 hours with me and more importantly they have sat there and listened to me bitch and complain when I'm having a bad day...yeah I'm not ready for them to really grow just yet. Even when one is 23 and the other is 21!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment